Return information from a related item
If you store any data as documents, you can get all required information from them and show it on your workflow task form. To do so, you should make a reference to the application your workflow task belongs to. To retrieve particular data from a related item, use the following expression pattern:
|$<Reference_Field_ID> -> <Related_Item_Field_ID>|
<Reference_Field_ID> - the identifier of a field, which references to another item.
<Related_Item_Field_ID> - the identifier of any field of the referenced item.
To see how it works, you can use any existing application or, for example, create the Customer application for test purposes. Also several customers need to be created in the application as documents. If you store customers as documents, it is convenient to return any customer’s information to a support ticket or any other workflow task.
To create the rule:
1. Open workspace, open an application inside a workspace and click Fields.
2. Create the Customer field of the Reference type and select the required application as a reference. This field references to the application and will be used for selecting one of related items (customers in our example) on the form.
3. Go to Form and drag the created field into the form of a workflow task.
4. Return to Fields and create the required number of fields of the Reference type to display information returned from a related item. For example:
- Service level (ID: Service_Level) – calculated field, shows the service level of the customer has been selected
- E-mail (ID: Email) – calculated field, shows the e-mail address of the customer has been selected.
5. Type the following expression in the Field Expression box of the E-mail field:
6. Type the following expression in the Field Expression box of the Service level field:
Create a new workflow task, fill in the required boxes and select a customer. Click Save. The customer’s service level and e-mail will be displayed automatically in the corresponding fields.