A step is a building block of a workflow. A step shows the current position of a workflow task in a workflow. Generally, some work on a workflow task should be done in a step, for example, ""Review a document"".
To create a workflow step:
1. In a workspace select a workflow app and open a workflow.
2. In the Statuses list, select an existing status, or create a new status by clicking the New Status button. Statuses are required to create a workflow step. Statuses do not belong to a particular workflow — they may be used in different workflows, as opposed to steps which are unique to each workflow. We strongly recommend reusing existing statuses because you will be able to create different types of reports, lists and dashboards based on the data taken from different workflows.
3. Create a new workflow step by dragging a status into the workflow area. A workflow step is unique for each workflow.
4. Double click on a step to specify its properties.
- Common properties, i.e. step name and type.
- Assign persons responsible for this step.
- Make several people perform work in an item step.
- Pre-fill some item fields.
- Perform automatic transitions based on a time event.
- Perform automatic transitions by condition.
- Configure custom e-mail settings.
- Set mandatory fields.
See Mandatory Fields
- Create validation rules.
See Validation Rules
- Change field read/write permissions, if necessary.