Cloning an Item, Task or a Document
If you have to create and manage many items, tasks or documents of the same type, for example, payments, you may reuse your existing items, tasks and documents by cloning and slightly modifying them after they are cloned. You can create one or more exact copies of a payment, changing only required data.
A cloned item, task or document is a separate entity from the original one. Operations on the original item/task/document have no effect on the clone and vice versa. A cloned item, task or document is an exact copy of the original one, containing the same information stored in the original item/task/document with the following exceptions:
- a new ID is generated for a clone;
- the «Title» field of a cloned item, task or document is prefixed with the string «Copy of» to indicate that the element is a clone;
- a cloned workflow item starts from the initial point of a workflow — from the Start Step, therefore appropriate values will be assigned to the Step and Status fields.
Cloning is enabled for a user, only if they have access for creating items, tasks or documents in the current application.
To clone an item, task or document:
1. Open the item, task or document you want to clone.
2. Click the «Clone» button in the Ribbon.
3. Modify a created clone if necessary. For example, replace the «Copy of» prefix in the title with a more sensible one.
4. Click the «Save» button in the Ribbon.